Monday 13 December 2010

Frustrament 1/2.

Hello Hello.


Gosh I have been busy as of late, good busy, I'm not over-working just yet. This post is related to the previous post(s) of the the critically acclaimed 'PAPER SERIES'. I did this drawing I'm about to show you a good fortnight ago, which I would of posted sooner, but as you know I get easily distra- HAHA KITTENS! LOOK AT THEM!


Yeah.


Paper-hoy!





You're probably thinking "Er wha?", especially if you click on the pics and have a closer look. Don't worry I'll elaborate with this and hopefully you'll get where I'm coming from. This idea stems from quite a personal experience I've had and I'm sure many of you can share this feeling/experience with me. It's the one of knowing even though you put in a lot of effort and hard work into something, it doesn't get the respect/credit it deserves. For me in particular this relates to when I did A-level Art. I put my heart and soul into the whole A-level, literally worked on it everyday, I enjoyed it. I was predicted an A by my teachers and my peers thought the same too - without sounding too arrogant I knew I would get a good grade. Then some subjective numpty comes in and marks the work and gives me a C. This didn't jeopardize my Art school credentials as I was already accepted to Chelsea Art College with an 'Unconditional' offer. The principal was that it was more for myself than anything, I needed it. When I received this grade I was really disappointed and thought "Ok, fair enough if they didn't like my style, technique and ideas." Because I can accept that, it's just the sheer amount of work I put in, so so so much work.
I filled 2/3 A3 sketchbooks to the brim per project, a ridiculous amount of work, and it went unnoticed (That's not including paintings on canvases and sculptures etc). This has happened in other circumstances which are too lengthy to get into but I'm sure a few of you have had a similar encounter under different circumstances and can relate to the frustration experienced.

So using the A3 paper I had obtained, I set about doing a repetitive pattern, over and over again, almost in a sort of frustration of continuous circles, like when you scribble out a mistake. So the piece itself represents the actual hard work that I put into it by doing it (it did take quite a while I must admit) but also showing frustration of how hard work doesn't always get the praise it deserves and might as well just be a big scribble.
In my opinion, without the 'meaning' behind it that I explained above, it actually looks quite nice as a background pattern.
This is 1 of 2 pieces with a similar theme, the other near-ish to completion.


TTFN


Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate