Sunday 6 April 2014

Tellers artwork.

Hullo.

I've recently designed some artwork for the band and good friends Tellers.

Having been to a few of their gigs I always had a vague idea that a repeated linear artwork would really suit them, stuff like waves/optical illusions close to a Bridget Riley style (who I've been a massive fan of since Year 7 art class). The idea of simple lines repeating themselves to make a grander composition is a lovely and intricate idea. The band touch on a Math Rock genre, which has it's emphasis on complex layers so I knew this aesthetic would go down well.

So from here, I looked at similar themed bands to get an idea of styles and trends, a lot of them had this style of geometric shapes, tessellations and detailed illustrations, which is right up my street.
As a sucker for word play I thought I'd play around with the Math aspect a bit more. At design school it was ingrained into us that when it comes to composition, you must always consider the rule of thirds and the golden ratio. Now, the golden ratio is intimately interconnected with the Fibonacci sequence and from this I remember there was a spiral in particular using this rule, it seemed pretty obvious that this was a good place to start.

So I played around with it a bit, did a few variations including different fonts but we decided to settle with the original logo. Here are a few of the initial ideas:





I added the logo in the last one to give it a better visual context. The guys liked this one so I developed it into a few different versions to make sure all aspects were covered. After a few adjustments the band decided that the this one was the best one to use. They wanted the logo to be made a bit larger which I was fine to do, there's an inside joke that clients generally ask for their logos to be bigger, here's an article that talks about it.


Since this will be predominately used on their web profiles and social networks, it does make sense for the logo to be a bit larger - think what it would be like as a thumbnail image - no point of having it smaller if the logo is too small to actually read. I can feel my ears burning as typographers will be casting a menacing eye over the centering and where the top left of the 'T' lingers over some of the artwork - the logo is right orientated so is a bit asymmetrical, not necessarily a bad thing it just means it won't be bang in the middle. Here it is:




Very happy with this, the band have released their EP this weekend, which I highly recommend. They were also played on the 'BBC London introducing..' radio show last night so congrats on that!


Click here to check out their awesome EP.


Here's their Facebook and Twitter links. Soundcloud for good measure too.




Toodle do.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate