Sunday 13 February 2011

Jobseekers/Knobseekers.

Afternoon,


As many of you may know already, I am currently on Jobseekers Allowance. Since graduating, the only design studios that would take me on have been short term placements for 2 weeks or so, but about a month ago I gained a substantially longer placement at One Little Indian records for 3 months. 


Well, my 'claim' is now in jeopardy. I work 24 hours a week at OLI, unpaid, but I do get travel expenses. Before I started at OLI, I had told jobseekers week after week that I have this lined up, and they seemed happy for me, thinking this could lead onto something more permanent.


The other week, I was telling them I may have another 3 month internship lined up afterwards, and I enquired as to how many hours I can technically do unpaid. When I mentioned to them that I currently do 24 hours at OLI, it caused a big confusion, about 3 of the workers there - credit to them, were very helpful and nice - they honestly didn't know. I guess my situation is rarer than your standard Jobseekers claimer? 
Apparently my claim is in trouble because I'm meant to be available 40 hours a week to look for jobs. I still fill out the 3 'searching-for-jobs-boxes' you have to fill out weekly. I really don't understand where they're coming from, as you're encouraged more and more (by them) to do volunteering and free work. 
Jobseekers HQ in Glasgow are going to decide what to make of me, I'll either be cut off, or get a reduction on my claim by the looks of it. Either way I'm incredibly annoyed, to get into the design industry (in fact, nearly every industry) you have to get unpaid work on your belt, it's an important experience and more and more studios have been demanding this. Not only this, I feel I really haven't done anything wrong (although I would say that I guess?) I told them weeks and weeks before starting this internship what I'll be doing, but either through lack of training or caring, they didn't realize the potential disaster for me?
Gah. 
I may even have to pay back the money they paid me, which, quite frankly, I don't have. 
Here's to being in debt!
The illustration below should get how I feel across. Wish me luck guys and gals.




Jamie

1 comment:

Translate